Six Months Being a Vegetarian
There isn’t a great deal to say.
I became vegetarian at the beginning of the year, with a vague plan to only eat meat at special occasions but ultimately didn’t. After a month away from meat, I just didn’t fancy it anymore. The whole thing has been very easy and uneventful.
There are only a few things I can think of really mentioning:
- Guernsey has some restaurants with absolutely naff selections of meat free food. Most have been fine but I’ve been suprised at some well known places.
- It is sometimes hard to figure out if something is vegetarian. I imagine this was a much bigger ordeal in the past as most things are labelled now. If it’s not though, it can be tough.
- Some of the things you wouldn’t think contain meat do and it’s pretty disgusting when you look into it. Cheddars, Lilt and Cadbury’s Chocolate Trifle to name a few odd ones. Like, how do you get meat in these things? It’s a bit mad.
- Chinese takeaways (other than China Red) seem to largely suck for vegetarians.
- I find the obsession with making vegetable products look and taste like meat quite strange. Vegetables are pretty nice by default, I’m not sure why we need it to taste like sausage.
Disclaimer: I have not been checking alcohol.